Friday, November 1, 2013

I'm Still Here

Hello friends! Forgive me for the time between updates...the weather here is still sunny and ~73 degrees and I find it difficult to stay inside in front of my computer ;) However, I hope the wait will be worth it because I have quite a few adventures to discuss! I had a little extra time for writing an update today because All Saints Day is a holiday in France so I didn't have to work. I do work...I swear. 

The past few weeks I have spent quite a bit of time on the move. I had the opportunity to go to a one-day conference in Lyon, France. Lyon is the 3rd largest city in France (1st Paris and 2nd Marseille) and is located just north of where I live. Even though I had to wake up at 5 am to get to the conference on time, I was especially excited because it meant I got to take my first high speed TGV train (~200 mph)!

After arriving in Lyon, we went straight to the conference....so I don't have any more pictures to show you at present. I am happy to say that I made it through the entire day of talks in French with only 4 cups of coffee...Scientific words are actually quite similar between the two languages and pictures always help. Even though I felt like my ears were burning at the end of the day, it was still a good trip!

The following weekend I decided to take advantage of the fabulous weather and hike up the one mountain in Aix-en-Provence: Montagne Sainte-Victoire. This mountain ridge was a favorite subject of the artist, Paul Cézanne (born in Aix-en-Provence). It's pretty wild to go see a painting in a museum and then walk out your door and see the same image. I took one of the easier paths (~2 hours each way), but there are also options for more serious climbing. There are more pictures on facebook. It's hard to do justice to the amazing panorama.
Start of the Hike
Getting Closer
At the top! 3100 feet!
Almost back down...can't believe this is only ~10 min drive from the city!

I know this post is long, but I kept you waiting so I want to make sure you are up to date! Here are some other random thoughts/events from the last few weeks:

1. I am a lover of all things Nutella, but sadly the secret is out :( You know you're in Europe when...

2. I finally have an oven! A few awesome coworkers let me borrow/helped deliver an oven for me to use. I'm moving in a month (to a place that already has an oven), but I am still super excited! I really missed pizza!

3. Although ~7 months ago I had never heard of Aix-en-Provence, I continue to get signs that this is where I'm supposed to be...right down to the street I live on. For instance: a very good friend gifted me with a series of travel/French books as a graduation present in August. One of the books is about the Marseille/Aix-en-Provence area specifically. Here is the cover of the book:

I've been reading the book here and there, but never really paid much attention to the cover since it's an e-book. However, one day last week something clicked and I realized that this is my view on my way home every day...I'm a little slow, what can I say:
It's the Church of Saint-Jean-de-Malte, a 13th century gothic church. I always love the way the light hits the building as I'm on my way home. I've already shared with many of you the way I felt God was calling me to take this job...for what exact reason I'm still not sure and may never know. For those of you I haven't told, I think I'll recount the story as part of a Thanksgiving post. I couldn't think of a more appropriate time considering how thankful I truly am to be here and have this opportunity. 

Next up on the blog list...my trip to Paris! Stay tuned :)

A+
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment