Monday, October 14, 2013

Everybody's Workin for the Weekend

I think it's time I lay to rest the rumors that I only came to France to have a good time and single-handedly "save the baguette" (that's for another post)! During the week I do in fact...work.


My current post-doc position is at a research center called the CEREGE (Centre for Research and Education in Environmental Geosciences). The facilities are located in a small forest (Europole de l'Arbois) just under 20 kilometers (~11 miles) outside of the Aix city center. In the morning I walk ~10 minutes to catch the bus in the center of Aix and then take a ~40 min bus ride. Compared to my 15 min bus ride to school in Chapel Hill, the commute is a bit longer, but it gives me a chance to catch up on some unscientific reading...and French homework :)



Welcome to the CEREGE:





The now-research building that I work in used to be a part of a hospital. The building is long and narrow and if you look on Google Maps you will see the road is called "Chemin du Sanatorium." I can attest to the long hallways...my office is at one end of the building and the lab is at the opposite end. I like to think of it as a built-in fitness program. 

Photo credit: http://www.wiki2d.org/partenaires/universite-paul-cezanne-aix-marseille-iii/
I would also like you to meet the oldest member of the lab, Lucy. She is a ~3.2 million year-old hominid from Ethiopia:




A team of researchers (from CEREGE and elsewhere) found Lucy in 1974, recovering ~40% of the skeleton. The above picture shows one of the original replicas gifted to the CEREGE to commemorate the finding. Read more about the discovery HERE


The building next door to mine takes camouflage to a whole new level. I'm still trying to perfect the use of the maple leaves as a sun dial...



When it rains at work, I've noticed that there are no earthworms on the sidewalks, only escargots (snails). I'm sorry to say I've accidentally stepped on a few :(



As I mentioned in my previous post, there are running trails around the CEREGE where many of my colleagues go during lunch. It's a beautiful course, but definitely a workout!



Okay, so this still doesn't prove that I've done any work since I've been here. You'll just have to take my word for it ;)

A+
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment