Thursday, November 14, 2013

Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire

Forgive me, but I'm going to speak about Christmas for a second, and yes, I know it's before Thanksgiving. I'm sure many of you have heard "The Christmas Song" a time or two...

"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost nipping at your nose..."

Well, I personally never really considered why the chestnuts were being roasted. However, after walking down the center of Aix one evening after work I now have the answer. People roast chestnuts to eat them! Duh.

Around these parts, chestnuts are called "marrons", which means "brown" (makes sense). After disembarking from the bus one evening I followed my nose to a campfire smell and found this lovely little stand for "Marrons Grilles". 

I ordered a "petit cornet" or "small cone" of warm chestnuts and took them to my French lesson where I promptly enjoyed them with some coffee :)


I found them to be similar in taste to Brazil nuts (could just be me) and very filling! To make things even more exciting, my French teacher informed me that in France they sell something called "Crème de marrons". It's a sweet chestnut spread that is used for baking and on bread. It is very good, but I think I'm still a Nutella girl at heart.


After encountering these delicious treats I started to think about why they have not become popular in the US. I did a little internet research (not peer-reviewed of course!) and found that the American chestnut species was devastated by a "chestnut blight" where a fungus killed off the majority of the species. There does seem to be a correlation between popularity and prevalence! 

I have thoroughly enjoyed my chestnut experience, but I think I'm going to switch back to my love of hazelnuts and put my newest purchase to good use! However, it must wait until I move into my new flat with the fully stocked kitchen!


Sorry if you are now drooling. 

A+,
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment