Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Home Sweet Home

Bonjour! Today marks the first week of my adventures in France. I arrived in Aix-en-Provence late last Wednesday night after traveling from JFK to London and finally to France. My boss picked me up from the airport and brought me to a rental studio that would serve as a temporary place while I embarked on my international house hunt. I woke up the following morning with no euros, no food, and no permanent place to live, but God sure does provide! Within one day, I found an ATM, grocery store, and signed an apartment lease! He still hasn't blessed me with immediate fluency in French, but I guess I'll take what I can get ;)

As many of you know, I began apartment hunting before leaving the U.S., combing through postings on France's equivalent of Craigslist. All the good places seemed to go rather quickly (obvious, I know) so by the time I arrived in France I had only secured two apartment viewings. I set off with my 400 page 1970s French/English Dictionary (invaluable since the first landlord did not speak much English) and French cell phone courtesy of some very special friends. Here's an idea of the kind of furnished apartment you can get for your money in Aix-en-Provence:

Place #1: 

1 main room with futon, table, and armoire (futon served as the bed)
small kitchen
small bathroom
~300 sq. ft
$800/month (electric and water included) with $1600 deposit
Note: Ground floor, at the end of an alley, little cell phone reception

Place #2:

Main living area with futon, table, and chairs
separate bedroom with loft bed and armoire
small kitchen
small bathroom
~400 sq. ft
$730/month (water included) with $730 deposit
Note: Two other potential student renters were visiting at the same time I showed up...competition! 1st floor, well-lit area with excellent cell phone reception and English-speaking landlord

Which one did I choose???




Place #1! Hahaha just kidding. I picked Place #2 :) It had everything I was looking for and included things I didn't even know I would need. For example, a patient landlord to translate an entire rental agreement line by line...and a landlord also willing to take his car and help me pick up my large 50 lb. suitcases from my temporary rental so I didn't have to drag them through the streets... 

I finish moving in this Saturday (once I have internet installed). Stay tuned for pictures!

Votre ami,
Danielle





2 comments:

  1. Exciting! I love the idea of this blog!! I'm so happy to hear that everything is falling into place... Hugs...

    ReplyDelete