Thursday, December 11, 2014

'Tis the Season

Hi Everyone,

I hope you've been enjoying the holiday season so far. Life here is keeping me busy, but of course I've still been able to find some time to celebrate the traditional festivities that go along with this time of year. 

Thanksgiving


Similar to last year, I enjoyed a traditional Thanksgiving meal with friends compliments of the English church in Aix and several excellent expat chefs. The menu consisted of two ~22 lb turkeys, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie, apple pie…and the list goes on. I am still astounded that a green bean casserole prepared (complete with fried onions, mind you) on the other side of the ocean can taste exactly the same. 

We celebrated Thanksgiving a few days early on the Sunday before. The actual day of Thanksgiving was a bit bizarre for me since it was the first time I spent the day going about business as usual…I even ate quiche instead of turkey. Blasphemy. However, I did have time to reflect on the fact that the entire US was eating turkey on the same day. I never really stopped to think before about how much turkey that actually is. Wow. 


Look out! Here come the turkeys!


The French turkeys did not disappoint.


Bon appétit!

The one thing I do appreciate about celebrating Thanksgiving here is the disassociation with Black Friday…or so I thought. It turns out that although the French may have little clue as to what Thanksgiving is all about, they are starting to catch on to the consumer craze that ensues afterward. 



Black Friday

For example, Amazon.fr (the French Amazon site) sent me an e-mail promising an entire weekend of Black Friday deals. I'm still a little confused about the "Black Friday Week" part though...


"Danielle, la Black Friday Week continue ce week-end"



Even some of the "brick and mortar" stores here were offering deals for Black Friday. However, I don't think they opened at 5 am ;) 


Cyber Monday

And just so Black Friday didn't feel left out, Cyber Monday also made an arrival in France! Here is a copy of the newspaper from the morning of "Cyber Monday". Another fun thing trying to explain to my coworkers...






Christmas is coming!

 As we all know, once Thanksgiving has passed it's time for Christmas! For those of you that remember my post from last year, I once again had the chance to play viola in the "Anglophone" Christmas Carol service. Always a great way to get in the spirit :) 

Here is the link to the video(s):www.ustream.tv/recorded/56215226




Photo credit: Apryl Anderson.

Photo credit: Apryl Anderson.


"Twelve Days of Christmas". Photo credit: Apryl Anderson.

"Silent Night". Photo credit: Apryl Anderson.

 This year I'm spending my 2nd Christmas in France, but I'll have a very special guest joining me (stay tuned for the next post). I hope you all thoroughly enjoy your holidays, most of all your time with friends and family. Miss you and love you! 


A+,
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment