Monday, January 20, 2014

Ringing in the New Year

Hi Everyone :) I hope your 2014 is off to a great start! After my Christmas in Pau, I left France for the first time in 4 months and journeyed to London to ring in the New Year English style. Even though it was the first time in months that I was surrounded by my native language I still found myself thinking..."Are you speaking English?"


Welcome to London!
I was joined for the London adventures by one of my old roommates :) It was nice to have a reunion on the other side of the grad school hurdle! 

There were actually a few sunny days, but of course it wouldn't be London without the rain...so we passed a few days in the National Gallery and British museums to get our fill of paintings and mummies. Sadly, there weren't any royal sightings at Buckingham Palace :( 


Outside Buckingham Palace looking for Prince Harry!

 Among the other tourist sights, we traversed the London Bridge (which didn't fall down), walked along the River Thames, spotted the Globe Theatre, then made our way to the London Eye.


Picture of the Tower Bridge taken while standing on the London Bridge.

Globe Theatre: All the world's a stage.



Walking along the River Thames.


Overlooking the city on the London Eye.


Big Ben in all his glory.

On NYE, we celebrated by watching fireworks overlooking the city (from Parliament Hill). My favorite first quote of 2014 was a young guy telling me to "have a great life"...um thanks? 


View of London from Parliament Hill. The fireworks were launched from the London Eye and other locations all over the city.

The London experience wouldn't be complete without an afternoon tea. We devoured scones, tea sandwiches, and the most delicious carrot cake. Even though I lived on coffee in grad school, I'm starting to understand what this tea thing is all about.

Enjoying afternoon tea!


It was a great week in London, but after all the fun it was time to hop in a telephone booth and jet back to France!

A+
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment