Monday, December 9, 2013

Just Around the River Bend

As I mentioned in my last post, I spent Thanksgiving collecting water from the Rhône River. Here is a look into our "top secret" 3-day water retrieval mission ;) 

The first morning, we loaded all the supplies we needed for collecting the water and the subsequent on-site analysis into our "lab truck". Collecting and analyzing over 300 liters of water requires a lot of stuff!
Making our list and checking it twice!!

Our truck...complete with lab bench and refrigerator in the back. (PS I'll bet you've never seen a Ford like this?)

After loading the truck, we left Aix-en-Provence and headed to our first 3 sites near Arles and Avignon. During the three days, the plan was to first collect water from the southern part of the river (starting in Arles) and work our way north (toward Geneva, Switzerland). 
Photo credit: Google maps
We were lucky to have beautiful, sunny weather the first day (even if it was a bit cold and windy). With our team of 6 people, it took about an hour at each site to collect and analyze the water. 
Water collection method #1


Water collection method #2


Me and "Le Rhône"

The first day of sampling was successful and we managed to obtain all the water we needed before the sun went down. However, we did run into a minor problem when the truck decided to automatically lock with the keys still inside...What else do you expect from an American car in Europe? ;)

How many scientists does it take to break into a truck?

We left one brave soul with the truck and drove back to Aix-en-Provence to get the spare key (~1 hr each way). All ended well and the next morning we left Aix-en-Provence to hit the next four sampling sites. The second morning also met us with a surprise I wasn't expecting in southern France...SNOW! During most of our morning drive I got to stare out the window at some of the biggest and fluffiest flakes I've ever seen. In case you were wondering...the people here handle snow about the same way as they do in Las Vegas and North Carolina. We finished up the day in Lyon and spent the night in a hotel before continuing the trek north the next day. 


Seyssel, France: The last sampling point

The final day of the mission (i.e., Thanksgiving) we sampled water from two final sites. The weather was so cold that my instrument stopped working :( It's not a good sign when there are icicles inside! We finished just in time for lunch and then I took the train back from Seyssel to Aix-en-Provence while the others in the team drove back in the truck (due to logistics there were 4 people that needed to return to Aix and only 3 places in truck).

I thoroughly enjoyed my first on-field mission. It was great to be able to see so much of France by car...although I'm not very fond of their "rest areas". Two words: hole and ground. I've heard rumors that the next sampling mission will involve summer and a boat! Fingers crossed :)

A+
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment